Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Day 107: Triathlon Training

Workouts. . .
500 meter swim; 20 min. walk with dog


Today was day one of my triathlon training, the first swimming day. I headed over to the pool directly after work, and it ended up being a great workout after a long day of standing on your feet. The water is so buoying. I haven’t swum in ages and floating along was actually a huge mood booster. So I shared a lane with a grabby old guy because it was pretty crowded with retirees for lap swim. He didn’t really play well, flopping his arms toward me whenever we happened to pass, which wasn’t often. He rested more than he swam. Whatever. Anyway, I didn’t do the recommended 10-second resting at the end of each lap because I was on a swimming high. Afterwards I was warm and tired, but I felt great — both that I had gone at all and that I can still swim! Oh, I also broke my goggles. Too long without wear, so the elastic just popped half like I feared it would when I saw how yellowed they had become.

Also, for dinner, I remembered this recipe I read somewhere for baked veggie fajitas. I adjusted it for vegetables that George will eat, and off we went.

Roasted Vegetable Fajitas

1-2 zucchini, cut into 1/2” thick sticks
1-2 yellow squash, cut into 1/2” thick sticks
2 portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 red onion, cut in halves and then slices
1/2 jalapano pepper, thinly sliced (seeded if necessary)
1 T vegetable oil
salt & pepper
corn tortillas
Monterey jack cheese (optional for top)
sour cream (optional for top)
salsa (optional for top)

Preheat oven to 550 degrees and oil up a big jelly roll pan with edges. Cut the vegetables to be pretty equal in size. Toss in vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour into pan and spread out evenly. (If you’re making a huge recipe of this for guests, you may want to cook it in batches because if they steam rather than roasting, it’s just not as good. Trust me.) Cook 10 minutes, then stir. Cook 5-10 minutes more, depending on how many vegetables you have. They should be lightly charred, like on a grill. You can also cook them on a grill. Serve a nice scoop of veggies in a corn tortilla, then pile on the extras for an even better experience. I usually make this with 1 each of the squashes (medium-sized), and it ends up being about 8 fajitas.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails