Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Day 24

What I ate today. . .
Brewed tea w/ 1 pump vanilla & 1/2 c. whole milk, 1 c. pineapple; Le Peep Hen Pen breakfast special with two eggs over medium and whole grain English muffin, peasant potatoes; double short iced 2p white mocha w/ 2p rasp. Syrup; three fried risotto cakes with 1/2 c. marinara (about 1 c. risotto); triple grande iced 3p white mocha w/ 3p rasp. Syrup; homemade fried rice with broccoli, carrot, onion, peas, mushrooms & scallions, marinated orange-red pepper veggie beef tenders with peanut oil, a scallion pancake; plain brewed tea.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today I tried a new product from It’s All Good Foods Inc. called Veggie Beef Tenders (150 calories, 1.5 g fat and 28 g protein per 4 oz serving!). They were frozen when I bought them, and it says no need to thaw right on the package. If I had it to do again, I would have thawed them to help the marinade soak in a little more. As it was, I marinated them in orange peel, OJ, soy sauce, rice wine, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, shallot salt and peanut oil. After I made my fried rice, I quick fired everything in the wok and it was good to go in about three minutes. I thought they turned out really good, and George thought they looked like real beef — but that’s where the similarities end. They’re a little too floppy to pass as beef, and there’s definitely a soy-ish chewyness to them. I thought I did a good job covering them with really strong flavors to make the fakeness take the back burner, but I guess it wasn’t good enough. I think next time I would put them IN something, rather than on the side. I don’t think it would’ve been as big a deal on the side. Regardless, I thought they turned out delicious and will definitely make them again.

I did better today at work by bringing myself a lunch, which I ate on my break at 1 something. The risotto cakes helped take my mind off consuming large amounts of coffee, and they refueled me since I had to do so much manual labor today. I should do this all of the time, but it’s a lot easier to stick with sandwiches. Why don’t I make sandwiches anymore? It’s ridiculous of me. That’s what I’ll do for tomorrow. Good idea!

At the grocery store this morning, I did purchase some ground turkey to make burgers for George. He’s been really good lately with the testing, few complaints and he actually tries everything, sometimes twice, before making a decision. And some things, like the bacon experiment, do not need tasting if you have eyes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails