Friday, July 13, 2007

Day 194: 15-Minute Shiitake and Tofu Soup

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yesterday evening I finally satisfied my craving for soup that I’ve been prepping for weeks in advance. I was at happy hour to celebrate a friend’s employment success when suddenly clouds formed and rain clattered overhead. Luckily, I hadn’t indulged in too many appetizers as everyone kept ordering chicken wings, so I raced home to make my quick soup and peanut butter noodles. Mmm. This afternoon, I reheated this giant mug of soup for my lunch and am now quite pleased with the day.

15-Minute Shiitake and Tofu Soup

4 cups vegetable broth
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
tsp toasted sesame oil
hot sauce to taste (I like it extra spicy)
1/2 tsp sugar
sprinkle of pepper
2 eggs, lightly scrambled
handful of scallions, sliced

On the stovetop, bring the broth to a boil in a medium-sized pot. In the time it takes to boil, slice the mushrooms and tofu, then add them in and reduce the heat to medium, letting the soup bubble away while you prep the scallions and eggs. Add the sesame oil, hot sauce, sugar and pepper and stir briefly. While stirring, add the scrambled eggs to the pot. Take the pot off the heat, let sit a minute, then add scallions. It’s ready to eat!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails