Sunday, March 18, 2007

Day 75: Chinese Dinner

I sort of failed at the game. I DID indeed get the frozen custard, which was mint with oreo bits this time, and I also found the need to purchase a side of wild fries, laden with ketchup. Mmm. At least I enjoyed them.

I made my Stir-Fried Veggies (3/8/07) for the family, served alongside some brown and white rices. They really liked the egg rolls, though I’ve never made them before and they could have been better with more spices, but I didn’t know what to put in. Maybe cilantro and mint? Anyway, everything’s good with peanut sauce, so we were saved, although several people ate them plain.

Chinese Egg Rolls
1 head Chinese cabbage, washed and thinly sliced
2 carrots, shredded
6 button mushrooms (or shiitake, your choice), very thinly sliced
1 package egg roll wrappers
1 c. peanut oil

Mix cabbage, carrots and mushrooms together in a large bowl and add a little salt and pepper. Use a small bowl of water and a brush to stick the egg rolls together, folding a large handful of cabbage mix into each one (there’s directions of how to fold them on the wrapper). Heat peanut oil over medium-high heat until it crackles when you toss a small piece of bread or cabbage into it. Fry the egg rolls two at a time, turning when their sides are browned. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven until serving to keep them crisp. Serve with peanut sauce. Makes 10-12.

Peanut Sauce
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 T soy sauce
2 T white wine vinegar
2 T water
splash of hot sauce

Mix together and adjust seasonings to taste. I like it sort-of spicy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails