Monday, March 12, 2007

Day 70: Urban Peak

First of all, I need to confess that yesterday, after I finished posting my blog, I also ate 10 minutes worth of non-stop Cheetos. And then I felt like crap for an hour. Totally unworthy it but I seem to repeat that action frequently.

Now I can move along.

Today I volunteered at Urban Peak youth center in downtown Denver to cook dinner for 40 homeless teens with a set of volunteers whose names were provided to me. Since I realize that these kids are not vegetarian, I made a baked pasta with hamburger, a big salad, brownies and juice. There was supposed to be another lady coming with garlic bread, but at the last minute George was nice enough to run to the store when she didn’t show. I was a little bit in awe of the limited kitchen facilities at the Peak, but we had enough pots and pans so we improvised and got it done. I made enough salad for them to have six meals of it, thinking that kids would eat salad the way that I eat salad — lots of it. Not the case. I had forgotten about those years when I dated teenaged boys. Girls like salad, not so much the boys. Anyway, the girl who was organizing the day and supervising the kids told me she had gone vegetarian two days prior, after reading an article about how any given meat-eater’s intestines house 2-month-old undigested meat at all times. Gross. I’m not sure whether it’s true or not, but it seemed to work for her. She ate plenty of salad. I think I’ll volunteer here again. It’s more hands-on than assisting for Operation Frontline, and I like making food for people who actually need it. It probably cost me (and George) about $50 in groceries, and we didn’t even bring salad ingredients or juice. I’ll have to make a more cost-effective menu the next time. . .

What I ate today. . .
5:30 a.m. – oatmeal with bits of apple and brown sugar
9 am – half of a Classic Coffee Cake with half a double-tall 2p white mocha 1p chai latte (yes, it was as gross as it sounds)
11 am – iced triple grande 3p rasp 3p white mocha
12 noon – strip of cold Sabbath roast that seemed appealing at the time, 1/2 c. blueberries
4 pm – string cheese
6:30 pm – one and a half brownies at Urban Peak
8 pm – two Chipotle veggie tacos (no sour cream) and a handful of chips

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails