Friday, February 23, 2007

Day 53: Struck Down by Lard

Workouts. . .
Very brisk 30 minute walk with the dog. Feet hurt from working all morning, and it was so nice outside it felt like a waste to hit the gym.


I met a friend for lunch today at a Mexican restaurant, one of those truly authentic places where they don’t speak much English. They actually had a list of common translations for some of the foods at the top of the menu. Anyway, I found something on the menu that came with steak or chicken and wrangled it into a veggie meal. Probably still cooked in lard because my stomach hurt all afternoon. I started feeling ill in the class I volunteer to help teach, for Operation Frontline. It’s about cooking, so the job was cutting up food and making smoothies. When I got my break during the second hour of class, I sat down and ready a book while my stomach started bloating in my jeans. Great. By dinnertime, I still hadn’t recovered enough to make anything, and nothing sounded great but I was hungry. Makes no sense. Anyway, I ate and then felt gross, then hungry again, then I went to bed unsure how I would feel the next day.

I'm pretty sure there was lard in the food. It's very authentic, and the food at Las Fuentes was amazing. So it only makes sense to me. And I also didn't eat anything else that would have upset me, as far as I know. It's my best guess. I am definitely not saying I wouldn't eat there again (because I would), but I'll be more careful next time.

What I ate today. . .
Too much. . . . felt really ill starting in the late afternoon until I went to bed.
4-5:30 a.m. – banana & bites of pastries during a coffee tasting, short chai w/o whip
8:30 a.m. breakfast – 1/2 granola w/ whole milk (not sure why), 1 cup blueberries
10 a.m. snack – yogurt & triple tall 3p rasp extra ice 3p white mocha
12:30 p.m. – almost all of my beans & rice, along with a handful of chips and salsa, and 3 small corn tortillas filled with beans and topped with guacamole, salsa & sour cream
4:20 p.m. – two bites of the vegetable stir fry we made in my volunteer program
6 p.m. – one of my pre-made salads with Dorothy lynch dressing, 2 cups of crispy crowns with ketchup & salt
7:30 p.m. – 1/2 c. breyer’s vanilla ice cream with 1/2 c. root beer
8 p.m. – bedtime tea with peppermint to settle my stomach

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails