Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Summer Mizuna Salad


For those who, like me, have never tried mizuna lettuce, it's a sturdy, leaf-type lettuce, slightly bitter in flavor, with a hint of radish, and a hardy, steminess similar to frisee. I liked it, though I tempered it with strongly flavored ingredients. I would probably pair it with a kinder, crunchier lettuce in a leaf-only salad. But as it's become so popular in restaurants, I was able to find bundled mizuna leaves near the spinach in the produce section and cheaply priced at my co-op this week — meaning I had to give it a try.

Summer Mizuna Salad

1 bunch mizuna greens, washed and spun dry
1 cup jicama, peeled and diced
1 ear of corn, cut off the cob, raw
big handful cherry tomatoes, washed and quartered
handful cilantro leaves
1 T jalapeno, finely diced
2 T red onion, finely diced (use shallot here or spring onions, whatever you like)
juice from 1/4 to 1/2 of a lime, to taste
pinch of sugar
3 T EVOO
salt & pepper to taste

Toss everything together in a big bowl and let it stew for at least 10 minutes before serving. Taste it, add more seasoning, if it needs more, then toss again and eat.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails