Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chickpea, Feta & Cilantro Salad


Simple and quick yet hearty enough to stand as a meal on its own, this salad features my favorite centerpiece, chickpeas, and loads of fresh herbs. From Falling Cloudberries page 81, Tessa Kiros' recipe offers a bit more heat and herby mix-ins than my usual fallback Chickpea Salad with Lemon and Parmesan from Orangette — though if you haven't you should try that too. Since I adore chickpeas, I generally try any recipe that falls into my hands because it keeps me from eating them plain right out of the colander. It's what I love most about chickpeas: complete versatility. The medley of herbs here elevates this salad from a something I'd save for winter, making me a very happy herb-grower and a hand-clapping salad eater.

Chickpea, Feta & Cilantro Salad
Adapted from Falling Cloudberries
Makes a hearty lunch for two or serves 4 as a side

14-oz can Bush chickpeas,* drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small red chile, finely chopped (can substitute jalapeno or any other hot pepper you like)
2 scallions, greens only, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely minced
1/4 cup italian parsley, finely minced
2 T chives or garlic chives, finely minced
juice of half a lemon, about 2 tsp
1/4 cup feta, crumbled
2-3 T EVOO
salt & pepper to taste

Short version: Mix everything in a bowl and let sit in the refrigerator overnight to combine the flavors. Spoon into bowls and eat, using crusty bread to top up the yummy bits.

Long(er) version: Saute the onion and chile in a teaspoon of the olive oil until they've softened and started to brown. Scoop out of the pan into a bowl and let cool. Add everything else to the bowl and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour to combine the flavors. Spoon into bowls and eat, using crusty bread to top up the yummy bits.

*In spite of our ex-Prez, you'll really be happier using Bush brand chickpeas. They're the very best and least mushy kind of chickpeas on the market. Trrruust me, I've tried 'em all.

2 comments:

Becky said...

delicious looking salad! i need to make it for lunch.

Lisa said...

SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS SALAD! All of my favorite things combined, yum yum! Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails