Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Leftover Lentil Curry

Photobucket

Okay, okay, there's no recipe for this one. I wanted to use lentils and then throw in a few leftover bits from the fridge. I've had a cup of frozen okra for a few months, plus a scoop of the sweet potato mash from last week. I added an onion, a small can of tomato paste, 2 tsp curry powder, 1/2 cup each of red and yellow lentils, 1 tsp cumin, cayenne, and four cups of vegetable broth. After it simmered on the stove for an hour, I pureed half of it, leaving some of it chunky for texture. Then I tossed in the okra and a bit of chopped cilantro. Served with brown rice, this was quite delish. Like most slow cooking dishes, it tasted even better the next day, and the next, especially with a slice of whole wheat toast for dipping. If only I knew how to make naan.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails