Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Vegetarian Stroganoff


With the recent chill in the air, I'm starting to crave warm, gooey recipes. This stroganoff incorporates all of my favorites: mushrooms, onions, veggie sausage and buttered noodles. Our local natural store, Marie's, stocks Amish country noodles, and a package of thick-sliced fresh noodles inspired this recipe. Even George liked the aroma of sausage and mushrooms, and the thick, creamy sauce made it feel more decadent than it is — I used all light ingredients!

Vegetarian Stroganoff
Makes 6 big servings

1 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1# portabella or cremini mushrooms, sliced
6 oz veggie sausage crumbles (I like Gimme Lean or Morningstar in this)
4 oz white wine
1 can of your favorite condensed mushroom soup (light is fine)
water
1 cup sour cream or yogurt or a mixture of the two (light is fine)
1 T thyme (use 1 tsp if dried)
salt & pepper

12 oz package of noodles
1 T butter
1 T italian parsley (optional)

In a large saucepan with a wide bottom, add the oil and let heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry 5 minutes, until starting to soften. Add the mushrooms, working in batches if you need to for space, and crisp on both sides. Work the sausage into the mix and fry everything until golden brown.

While this fries, mix up your soup with the required amount of water in a separate bowl, and then incorporate the sour cream/yogurt. Mix until smooth.

When the sausage is golden, add the thyme and white wine. Scrape the bottom of your pan to loosen the sticky bits from frying. Then pour in the soup mixture, stir to combine, and reduce heat to low. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer while you fix the noodles.

Boil water for the noodles in a separate pot, and cook until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Drain completely, then toss with butter and parsley.

Pile noodles into a bowl or onto a plate, then scoop stroganoff over the top and serve.

1 comment:

gluadys said...

Hi, Christine

I was led to your blog looking for an image of Vegetable Stroganoff. I am posting recipes on Wordpress and am generally restricted to their Zemanta suggestions as I have no camera of my own. (not even a cell phone).

But "stroganoff" only brings up images of "beef stroganoff", not what I want for a vegan recipe.

With your permission I would like to use the second image in this post.

You can check out my blog at http://recipegluadys.wordpress.com

I roamed around a bit on your site. I must say I am amazed at how much you manage to do, especially with two little ones to take care of. Your description of New Year's with your toddler reminds me of many similar nights when my daughter was small.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails