Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wheatfields Bakery: Lawrence


I dare you to leave Wheatfields empty handed. It just doesn't seem possible.

When I walked in for the first time early Tuesday afternoon, the air smelled of sourdough and cinnamon with an underlying (undying) breath of coffee. Loving all three, I stepped just inside the door and took a few lungfuls. Mmmm. After I stopped grinning foolishly, I read over the sandwich board to see what veggie items they had. Surprise! Six options, including a tempeh reuben! A mushroom lover to the core, I ordered the grilled portabella cap with olive tapenade, caramelized onions, wilted kale and seasonings on ciabatta. I also ordered a double skim mocha.

It took about 10 minutes for the sandwich to be made, allowing plenty of time to lurk at the bread counter. Customers came and went, but I couldn't decide between a sourdough kalamata and a whole wheat green olive. I asked the bakery assistant. She told me the green olive is a special item. That's what I got.

My drink arrived with a petaled mocha flower etched into the foam. Gorgeous. Unfortunately, I immediately burned my tongue on the scalded milk and that ruined everything. Even when I recovered, the coffee was overly bitter, the milk scorched.

All was forgiven when I bit into my sandwich. Mushrooms and onions, perfectly cooked, were balanced with ruffley kale and salty tapenade. Crisp but light bread loaded with gooey, roasted insides made me forget my coffee troubles.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails