Friday, August 01, 2008

Patriot's Fruit Salad


The title may be a joke, but this morning as I put this together for the third day in a row I finally noticed the color scheme and had to laugh. Uh, not that I'm not a huge patriot. I did wish I had thought to make this over the fourth of July. It's super simple, but the mellow taste of this Juan Canary melon I bought meshes well with the crunch of blueberries and the more tart-sweet flavor of strawberries.

Wikipedia helped me out with Juan Canary melons, which I'd never seen before and, thus, needed to buy immediately. It did say that you can't smell it, like a cantalope, so I had to find another way to figure out if it's ripe. Another online melon guide that I consulted said to eat the melons when they're a bright canary yellow color (how they were named) and when the stem end is slightly soft. Maybe that's how you can tell when they grow in your vicinity, but the shipped variety is different. More durable, I'm sure, but also probably on a different ripening schedule. When I bought it, the color seemed pretty yellow, especially compared to the mounds of honeydew nearby. I decided to wait and see, however. Two weeks went by. My stem end never got soft, but the color glowed a vibrant yellow. I cut the melon and there was a nice orangey blush along the seed cavity. Very pretty. Also, it was perfectly ripe.

I've been making this every morning for breakfast -- I'm princessy about needing the fruit to be cut fresh --, but you're welcome to make a huge bowl and keep the leftovers chilled.

Patriot's Fruit Salad

1/2 ripe Juan Canary melon, cut into bite-size pieces
2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 T sugar
1 T fresh lime juice

Mix everything together in a large bowl and let sit at least five minutes before eating.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails