Sunday, April 22, 2007

Day 112: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Workouts. . .
20 min. run, walking & stretching


Didn’t progress, food-wise, today at all. However, after snacking absentmindedly all afternoon, I did force myself into a run. It wasn’t the very best run ever, but after a mile I started to feel much better about myself. Yep, yep.

Also, I did indeed make the pumpkin pie oatmeal today. I’ve been thinking about it all week. It turned out rather well, if I do say so myself. And I can feel good about using up the rest of my steel-cut oatmeal, which I will most likely not purchase again. It just wasn’t my favorite. Maybe I need to have someone else make it for me and I’ll like it. Anyway, here’s the oatmeal recipe. I ended up with probably six good-size servings of the stuff, four large ones if you’re the hungry-for-breakfast type, like me.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
3/4 c. steel-cut oats
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. pumpkin, canned (freeze the rest for next time)
1/4 c. brown or raw sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. pumpkin pie spice

Start cooking the steel-cut oats according to package directions, with a pinch of salt. After 20 minutes, add the regular oatmeal and 2 c. more water. Cook 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring often. When oatmeal is tender, add pumpkin, sugar and spices. Mix well and serve. If you’re eating it at home, this is good with crumbled graham crackers on top. If it’s for the road, don’t worry it’s also good plain.

I watched an episode of “Everyday Italian” tonight while George was out. There was a lemon-shrimp pasta recipe that I think I can modify for just pasta, except the addition of garlic bread crumbs seems like a necessary step for some reason. Just sounds good to me right now. I’m making my grocery list tonight, so I guess I know what to add: lemons.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails