Sunday, February 11, 2007

Day 42: Organic Eggs

I’m pretty proud of myself for today because after hitting snooze twice and getting ready for work in exactly four minutes, I remembered to bring my pre-made oatmeal for breakfast, which I ate on my break. It lasted too, so I didn’t feel hungry later while I grocery shopped. However, I did also have 1/4 of a coffee cake when I completed my French press coffee tasting at 7 a.m. on an empty stomach.

I switched to organic eggs this week, after last week’s trial tasting of both hard-boiled and over-medium. I could tell the difference, but I couldn’t describe it if pressed. They definitely taste different, especially in the yolk. If you haven’t tried them, I would do a comparison and see what you think. The down side to organic eggs is slightly less than it was for organic milk, which was a dollar extra. For eggs, it’s more like 70 cents, depending on what you want, see below.

Here’s my cost comparison on eggs.
Large white eggs, store brand: $1.80
Large brown or white eggs, cage-free, organic: $2.49 this is what I got
Large brown eggs, free-range, organic: $3.49

If I buy my usual amount of eggs, a dozen about twice per month, it will add up to $16.56 over the course of the year. Totally doable, as far as I’m concerned. The milk change costs me about $48 per year more than I would spend on regular milk, so the eggs are a short leap comparatively.

What I ate today. . .
Short nonfat chai with whip; 1/2 c. or so of steel-cut oatmeal with a raw sugar and a shot glass of whole milk (2 oz) and a Clementine; triple grande 3p rasp 3p white mocha; leftover veggie enchilada with 1 T RF sour cream and 1 T salsa; butterscotch-oatmeal cookie and chai tea; grilled cheese sandwich with fontina & tomato slices, creamy Portobello soup; butterscotch oatmeal cookie & plain green tea.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails